Useful Website Links


Advice UK
Network of independent advice agencies.
Tel: 020 7469 5700

Association of British Credit Unions
Find your local credit union.
Tel: 0161 832 3694

British Bankers Association
The BBA is the leading trade association for the UK banking and financial services sector.
Tel: 020 7216 8800

British Cheque & Credit Association
The trade association for short term type loan products. e.g., Pay Day Loans.
Tel: 01244 505 904

Building Societies Association
The trade association, representing mutual lenders and deposit takers in the UK including all 48 UK building societies.
Tel: 020 7520 5900

Business Debtline
Offers free, independent and confidential debt advice for the self-employed and small businesses
Tel: 0800 197 6026

Citizens Advice Scotland
Offering independent and confidential advice on issues such as debt, money problems and welfare benefits. To find a bureau near you click on website below.

Consumer Credit Association UK
Represents the home credit industry.
Tel: 01244 312 044

Consumer Credit Trade Association
Represents consumer credit businesses.
Tel: 0845 257 1166

Consumer Direct
The UK helpline for consumer information and advice.
Tel: 0845 404 0506

Consumer Focus Scotland
Statutory organisation campaigning for a fair deal for consumers.
Tel: 0141 226 5261

Council of Mortgage Lenders
Trade association for mortgage lenders.
Tel: 0845 373 6771

Financial Conduct Authority
The FCA aim to make sure that financial markets work well so that consumers get a fair deal.  
Tel: 0800 111 6768

Finance & Leasing Association
Trade association for consumer credit and motor finance.
Tel: 020 7836 6511

Financial Ombudsman Service
For complaints about banks, building societies, loans and credit, hire-purchase, mortgages, insurance, investments, endowment policies and pensions.
Tel: 0800 023 4567 (usually free from a fixed line phone) or 0300 123 9 123 (charged at the same rate as 01 or 02 numbers on mobile phone tariffs). 

Financial Services Compensation Scheme
An independent organisation which pays compensation if you have a claim against firms authorised by the FSA.
Tel: 020 7892 7300 or 0800 678 1100

Institute of Money Advisers (IMA)
The professional body acting for money advisers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Does not give advice to members of the public.
Tel: 0845 094 2384

Lending Standards Board
Monitor and enforce the Lending Code and to ensure subscribers provide a fair deal to their personal and micro-enterprise borrowing customers.

Money Advice Scoltand Helpline 
Offers access to free confidential and independent advice on how to deal with debt problems. 
Tel: 0800 731 4722 

Money Advice Service
Responsible for helping consumers understand financial matters and manage their finances better.
Tel: 0300 500 5000

Money Advice Trust
We are a charity formed in 1991 to increase the quality and availability of free, independent money advice to people with debt problems.
Tel: 020 7489 7796

Office of Communications (OFCOM)
An independent organisation which regulates phone, television and radio companies.
Tel: 0845 456 3000 or 0300 123 3333

Ombudsman Services: Communications  
For complaints about phone and broadband companies who are members of the ‘Ombudsman Services: Communications’ scheme.

Tel: 0330 440 1614 or 01925 430049

Ombudsman Services: Energy
Can help with complaints about participating companies. A list of these is available on their website.
Tel: 0330 440 1624 or 01925 530263 

Scottish Public Services Ombudsman
Deal with complaints about councils, the National Health Service, housing associations, the Scottish Government and its agencies and departments, colleges and universities, prisons, and most Scottish public bodies.
Tel: 0800 377 7330

Free housing advice helpline.
Tel: 0808 800 4444

Stop Loan Sharks
Tel: 0300 555 2222

Free, confidential advice about tax problems. Taxaid is a charity that helps people on low incomes with their tax affairs.
Tel: 0845 120 3779

The Law Society of Scotland
The professional governing body for Scottish solicitors. Has “Find a solicitor” facility.

The Scottish Information Commissioner
Enforces Scotland's 'freedom of information laws' and tells people about their right to information.
Tel: 0303 123 1113

The UK Cards Association
The trade body for credit, debit and charge card issuers.

Provides advice about charitable grants and benefits.
Tel: 0808 802 2000

TV Licensing
General enquiries about payment schemes.
Tel: 0300 790 6131


Credit Reference Agencies

For a copy of your credit file.
Tel: 0870 060 1414

Credit Information and Fraud Avoidance Service (CIFAS)
Fraud prevention information.

For a copy of your credit file.

For a copy of your credit file.

We are a Charity

Contribute now and help us make a difference.

Social Media



Newsflash Sign-up

Enter your email address to receive updates from Money Advice Scotland.